Health House: Leuven’s new showcase for medical innovation
The future of healthcare becomes a tangible reality in the Health House in Leuven, opening its doors in the spring of 2018. This unique experience center is set to become a magnet for professionals in the field of medicine. Health House is a unique experience center where its visitors can experience the future of health and care. It shows how technology will have an impact on the future of our healthcare. Think of artificial intelligence, 3D-printing, wearables, nanotechnology and much more.
Health House is situated on the campus Arenberg. Everybody who is interested in health and technology can visit Health House, ranging from medical professionals (doctors, surgeons, nurses, dentist, …), patients, policy makers, students (18+), educational institutions, etc.
Health House was founded by 5 founding partners: UZ Leuven, KU Leuven, imec, province of Flemish Brabant and the city of Leuven. Their aim is to offer a platform for showcasing the future of health and care based on scientifically validated content and the impact technology will have on this future.
In a dazzling and futuristic setting, visitors can have hands-on experiences with all kinds of ingenious medical novelties. Such as a digital dissection table, that enables researchers to examine a body in full 3D. Thrillseekers can experience a virtual reality excursion into the human brain, and have a first hand experience with what happens during an epileptic fit. And of course there is also a lot of attention for 3D printing and the ever growing list of medical applications, such as prosthetics.
The Health House-experience is divided into six sections, the so-called ‘story lines’. Health House now has 6 storylines available and is currently working on a new storyline "Hospital of the future" to be launched in Q4 2018. These storylines are:
1. The history of medicine.
2. The many innovating activities of KU Leuven, which has the reputation of being the 7th most innovative university in the world.
3. Imec is also present in a storyline called:’ from nanochip technology to more personalised health care’. Imec is a world leader in microchip technology with strong expertise in software and ICT. Health House shows how imec uses these assets to contribute to a more personalised healthcare system. In this way, the new experience centre sheds light on the future of portable and implantable chips, of digital solutions for healthcare, but also of lab-on-chip and brain research in NeuroElectronics Research Flanders (NERF), an interdisciplinary research center. Visitors can discover the latest development in nano technology and admire the future of healthcare.
4. Health House also explains about human life from pre-conception to old age in a fourth storyline. Throughout our lives we are regularly confronted with various diseases. Health House shows you how we can better handle these diseases in the future, investigate them preventively, monitor them and improve our quality of life. Here one can meet Artificial Medical Intelligence 2.8, also called AMI.
5. Another unique storyline shown is about Smart Hub Flemish Brabant, a smart region in the heart of Europe. Smart Hub Flemish Brabant promotes the province as a unique knowledge region in the heart of Europe on the basis of four pillars: community building, internationalization, branding and project operation.
6. Last but not least, visitors are invited to discover the rich history of the city of Leuven.The city where Andreas Vesalius enjoyed his studies and he was one of the founders of anatomy. Leuven has a beautiful ecosystem where health, innovation and technology are well connected. In the future, the city also wants to develop further as a "smart city" and thus take a pioneering role.
Visitors undergo a personal multimedia experience that is highly immersive and customizable for everyone. Being such a unique place, Health House has meanwhile also grown into a popular event location. Working together with a number of leading scientists and doctors ensures that the content of Health House will always be up to date, showcasing the very latest developments.